Our North Dakota oil royalty dispute attorneys at Williams Attorneys will help you secure maximum compensation for unpaid oil and gas royalties.
With over three decades of experience litigating oil field royalty claims, intricate bad faith pooling suits, and other complex landowner disputes involving the nation’s oil and gas company giants, our Bakken oil royalty lawyers are renowned for meticulous investigation, engineering expertise, and unique legal strategy that ensures injured parties receive the absolute maximum financial compensation available.
We have recovered millions for North Dakota landowners frustrated with improper deductions, excessive fees, royalty payment delays, and underpaid oil and gas royalties across the Eagle Ford, Barnett, Haynesville-Bossier, and Bakken plays.
If you suspect a fracking company has delayed or underpaid your oil and gas royalties, we can help you collect the highest compensation possible.
How Bakken Oil and Gas Companies Avoid Paying Royalties
Underpayment of royalties is an ongoing problem in the Bakken. Many North Dakota drilling operators try to cut costs and increase earnings by tacking on random deductions, charging unfair fees, delaying payments, or refusing to pay landowners what they agreed to in the lease.
Fracking companies expect that landowners aren’t oil and gas lease experts, aren’t well versed in landowner rights, and won’t recognize or question it when they are missing royalty payments. Petroleum companies can easily miscalculate royalty payments or try to intentionally refuse a landowner their royalty payments.
Oil and gas companies use various strategies to underpay landowners, including:
- Allowing reservoir drainage through neighboring wells
- Deducting extra fees or unsold fuel amounts from royalty payments
- Deducting sections of land in calculating royalties
- Denying shut-in royalty payments
- Failing to seek out and acquire the best sale price
- Falsely increasing production / post-production costs
- Illegally subtracting post-production costs from payments
- Illegally using your land to store resources
- Marketing extracted resources incorrectly
- Misrepresenting market prices in royalty calculations
- Misrepresenting production volume / resource amount extracted
- Misrepresenting sale amounts in royalty calculations
- Practicing bad faith pooling
- Selling extracted crude at sub-market prices to affiliates
- Unnecessarily extending downtime / shut-in time
Bakken landowners can lose thousands in rental delays, bonus payments, or royalties because of these corrupt oil company practices. When mineral owners and surface owners decide to fight for their rightful royalty payments, oil and gas drilling companies hire top-notch legal defense teams to get out of paying full compensation.
Common extraction company defense tactics include:
- Claiming that your oil lease doesn’t contain certain payment terms
- Stating that your lease specified a long list of potential royalty deductions
- Withholding or hiding paperwork and other evidence necessary to prove your case
- Arguing that you missed the time limits to file an oil royalty lawsuit
Without an experienced, assertive North Dakota oil landowner lawyer who knows how to fight these companies and successfully prove your case, it can be almost impossible to recover unpaid royalties.
If you have lost money from a fracking company’s nonpayment of royalties, you may be able to file an oil royalty lawsuit for financial compensation. No oil company is too powerful to sue for what is legally yours.
North Dakota landowners can file a claim to collect the royalty underpayment amount.
If an oil and gas company has not protected your land and resources from drainage, you may file a lawsuit for the estimated royalties that you would have obtained without the drainage issue – depending on whether a well is currently active or a new one would need to be drilled to extract the resources.
At Williams Attorneys, we take oil and gas royalty payment lawsuits against all Bakken oil and gas companies including:
- XTO Energy Inc
- WPX Energy
- Whiting Petroleum Corp.
- Valero Energy
- Slawson Exploration Company
- Royal Dutch Shell
- Rimrock Oil & Gas
- QEP Energy Company
- Phillips 66
- Occidental Petroleum Corporation
- Oasis Petroleum
- Nine Point Energy
- Newfield Production Company
- Marathon Oil Corp.
- Lime Rock Resources
- Kraken Operating
- Exxon Mobil Corp.
- Equinor Energy
- EOG Resources, Inc.
- Enerplus Resources
- Continental Resources Inc.
- Burlington Resources
- Bruin E&P Operating
- Baker Hughes Co.
- Apache Corporation
We have the expert resources and legal know-how to discover all company wrongdoing and maximize landowner financial compensation. Initial consultations with our North Dakota Oil and Gas Royalty Lawyers are free and confidential - with no obligation to file a claim.